The district Headquarters of the South Dinajpur district in West Bengal, Balurghat town played an important role in the August Movement in the year 1942 against the British and occupies a place in the history of freedom movement of India. A small municipal town surrounded by age-old trees Balurghat is one of the pollution free towns in West Bengal. The small forests at Raghunathpur and Dogachhi surrounding the town offer a scenic environment for the local picnickers as well as the outside tourists. The canal with boating facility inside the Dogachhi is a major attraction for the people visiting this place.
The history of Dakshin Dinajpur, which used to be a part of the erstwhile Dinajpur district, dates back to the PAL and SEN dynasties and boasts of a glowing cultural heritage. From the different antiques discovered during excavation and existence of many big tanks all over the district, it becomes evident that this district had a flourishing past in the sphere of education and culture.
The ancient manuscripts and inscriptions have revealed that there was a district named Kotibarsha with its capital at Devkot near Gangarampur Town, which was locally known as Bangarh. The ruins of Bangarh speak volumes about the importance of this area. Its capital town Devkot is considered to be a historically famous place, from where a large number of inscriptions dating from Ashoka age to the Middle ages, have been discovered, This district was well connected with 3 (three) big rivers namely Atreyee, Punarbhaba and Tangon.
Balurghat is well connected by roadways from Siliguri and Kolkata.
Important towns around Balurghat:
Malda: 145 Kms
Places of attraction in and around Balurghat:
The college museum of Balurghat,
The college museum of Balurghat is worth seeing for many antique collections including coins, inscriptions, sculptures, terracotta, ornamental stones, etc. Two inscriptions have been deciphered by Prof A K Goswami, which has thrown new light on the religious belief of the Pala period.
It is situated on the Patiram-Trimohini road about 18 Kms away (North-East) from Balurghat town. This place is very famous for the Tebhaga Movement. History tells us that in the year 1946, the sharecroppers of this area raised a movement for establishing their 75-percentage share of the crops.
Patiram Thakur Estate:
On the Balurghat-Malda state highway, the Patiram Thakur Estate can be seen by the side of the river Atreyee. Old buildings of this estate are still there bearing the memory of the Tagore family.
About 20 Kms away from Balurghat town on the Balurghat- Malda Highway, the village BOLLA is situated. There is a famous Kali temple named after "Bolla Ma Kali'. There is a story behind this temple. It is said that one Zamindar was arrested by the British as he could not pay the tax for his Zamindari. Goddess Kali came to his rescue and the Zamindar was freed the very next day. As a token of gratitude, he built a temple of Goddess 'Kali' and started worshipping her.
The big lake of Tapan namely Tapan Dighi is situated in the village Tapan at a distance of 35 Km. from Balurghat town and 15 Km. from Gangarampur town. It is well connected by pucca road. Behind the naming of this lake there is a myth that king Laxman Sen dug this lake with a view to offering Tarpana for his ancestors. This lake is about 2 Km in length and 1 Km in breadth.